unstoppable fans !
Alexandre FRIEDMANN
2011-11-06 23:45:51 UTC
Hello folks.

I 've been on lesswatts.org, trying to fix an issue that makes my fans
always on (hp probook 4530s / i5 / ubuntu 11.10).
I am not sure about what is going on, if my power consumption is ok, and
it's my fan control that is bad, or if it is the opposite ...

The first entries of my powertop overview list :

Power est. Usage Events/s Category Description
3.52 W 100,0% Device Radio device: ath9k
2.38 W 100,0% Device Audio codec
hwC0D3: Intel
651 mW 100,0% Device Display backlight
651 mW 100,0% Device Display backlight
651 mW 100,0% Device Display backlight
17.3 mW 50,8 ms/s 0,0 Process
/usr/lib/thunderbird-7.0.1/thunderbird-bin
13.7 mW 40,3 ms/s 0,0 kWork
input_polled_device_work
12.8 mW 37,6 ms/s 0,0 Process compiz

I did not managed to activate the power_saving mode of the wifi radio,
following the tutorial.
Also, i was wondering how this intel codec could consume so much ...?
what should i do with it ?

After googling my problem of fans a bit of time, i've read that there
has been a linux kernel regression regarding these aspects of power
consumption... i find it hard to accept that there is no other solution
that waiting for fixes & I would like to understand better those aspects.

What do you think about that ?

thanks,
Christopher Svanefalk
2011-11-07 06:16:26 UTC
I have a Probook 4510s and a similar problem.

One thing you can try doing is going into your bios and disabling the "fans
always on while on AC power" option..did not work for me, but could work
for you :)
Alexandre FRIEDMANN
2011-11-07 18:14:44 UTC
Thanks for answering, good to see that i am not alone!
I already disabled this option and it actually didn't changed much.
Post by Christopher Svanefalk
I have a Probook 4510s and a similar problem.
One thing you can try doing is going into your bios and disabling the
"fans always on while on AC power" option..did not work for me, but
could work for you :)
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Alexandre FRIEDMANN
Hello folks.
I 've been on lesswatts.org <http://lesswatts.org>, trying to fix
Christopher Svanefalk
2011-11-07 18:21:23 UTC
I remember being able to manipulate fanspeed on one of my older machines,
not sure if the same is possible on HP though, or if the fans are purely
firmware controlled.