Power management in a surveillance system
UMAIR ALI KHAN
2011-08-03 13:14:16 UTC
Hi friends,

I am working on a surveillance system project which performs all the traffic surveillance tasks with vision algorithms. For high-end computing, I am using ZOTAC-IONITX computing platform (INTEL ATOM processor, NVIDIA ION GPU). I can calculate the power consumption of the whole board, but unfortunately I am  quite unable to measure the power consumption of sub-systems (e.g., processor, GPU, memory, network card etc). Since I don't have a power model, I cannot come up with an online power reduction strategy.

Could anyone please suggest me how to measure the power consumption of individual components (or any alternative way)?

Regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Umair Ali Khan
Research Scholar,
Pervasive Computing Group,
Institute of Networked and Embedded Systems, Klagenfurt University, Austria.
Lakeside Park L.2.1.33, 9020 Klagenfurt
Voice: +43(0)463 2700 3872
Fax: +43(0)463 2700 3679
www.pervasive.uni-klu.ac.at
Arjan van de Ven
2011-08-03 13:33:53 UTC
Post by UMAIR ALI KHAN
Hi friends,
I am working on a surveillance system project which performs all the
traffic surveillance tasks with vision algorithms. For high-end
computing, I am using ZOTAC-IONITX computing platform (INTEL ATOM
processor, NVIDIA ION GPU). I can calculate the power consumption of
the whole board, but unfortunately I am quite unable to measure the
power consumption of sub-systems (e.g., processor, GPU, memory,
network card etc). Since I don't have a power model, I cannot come up
with an online power reduction strategy.
Could anyone please suggest me how to measure the power consumption of
individual components (or any alternative way)?
i you feed the total consumption of the system back into powertop,
powertop will create a model for you, given enough measurements....
right now there is a "driver" in powertop for an extech external power
meter, and I hope to add a wattsup driver soonish.. but if you have your
own thing,
writing such a "driver" really is not hard, just look at the code for
the extech one.