Power measurements
Ken O'Brien
2011-09-13 09:03:32 UTC

Is it possible to measure power consumption (Watts) by reading ACPI
tables or another purely software method?

Ideally, I would be able to iterate across all system components and
report it's current wattage, but my main concern is measuring the CPU's
power consumption.

Regards,

Ken
Arjan van de Ven
2011-09-13 13:38:49 UTC
Post by Ken O'Brien
Hi,
Is it possible to measure power consumption (Watts) by reading ACPI
tables or another purely software method?
Ideally, I would be able to iterate across all system components and
report it's current wattage, but my main concern is measuring the
CPU's power consumption.
this is generally only possible on a system level.
BUT
PowerTOP 1.98 has a lot of fancy logic to break system level power down
to the component level using models and machine learning logic ;-)

if a modeled value is sufficient for you then I suggest trying PowerTOP 1.98