[Announcement] Translation Project on Transifex
Chris Ferron
2012-05-25 18:13:45 UTC
Greetings,
Writting a quick announcement to let all of you know about our
addition to Transifex. There is now an official project on Transifex for
PowerTOP, and I will be accepting translations once they are 100%. So if
anyone has the intrest to also do some translation work, here is the URL
to the Transifex project.

https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP
<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP/resource/powertop-devel/>

Thanks
Chris Ferron
Németh Márton
2012-05-26 09:22:49 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Ferron
Greetings,
Writting a quick announcement to let all of you know about our
addition to Transifex. There is now an official project on Transifex for
PowerTOP, and I will be accepting translations once they are 100%. So if
anyone has the intrest to also do some translation work, here is the URL
to the Transifex project.
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP
<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP/resource/powertop-devel/>
I'm not so familiar with transifex.net. How can I use it? Is there somewhere
a registration? I tried to add Hungarian (hu_HU) language, but I failed.

Regards,

Márton Németh
Németh Márton
2012-05-28 06:36:55 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Ferron
Greetings,
Writting a quick announcement to let all of you know about our
addition to Transifex. There is now an official project on Transifex for
PowerTOP, and I will be accepting translations once they are 100%. So if
anyone has the intrest to also do some translation work, here is the URL
to the Transifex project.
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP
<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP/resource/powertop-devel/>
I'm not so familiar with transifex.net. How can I use it? Is there somewhere
a registration? I tried to add Hungarian (hu_HU) language, but I failed.
I managed to log in to Transifex using Google account. It was a bit confusing
because the icons were gray usually meaning that they are inactive. Nevertheless
it worked.

I have checked the help at http://help.transifex.com/intro/translating.html#translating
saying:
| To access the editor, you should have permissions to submit translations to
| a resource (authenticated, member of realated team or project maintainer).
| Select the resource’s language you want to contribute to (or add it,
| if it’s not already there) and click “Translate Now!”.

I could only find "Request language" item, but not "add" as described in the help.
I'm not sure how can I became member of related team.

Regards,

Márton Németh
Németh Márton
2012-05-28 07:39:38 UTC
Hi Chris,

I have given up fighting with Transifex tool. I have downloaded the .pot
file and made the Hungarian translation offline, see the attached file.

Regards,

Márton Németh
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Chris,
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Chris,
Márton Németh
Patrick McCarty
2012-05-28 23:51:43 UTC
Hi Márton,
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Chris,
I have given up fighting with Transifex tool. I have downloaded the .pot
file and made the Hungarian translation offline, see the attached file.
If a language team doesn't already exist for a particular project,
project maintainers must first approve the request to create the team.

I just approved the Hungarian team for PowerTOP, so you should be able
to upload your translations now. If not, let us know.

Regards,
Patrick
Németh Márton
2012-05-29 06:04:38 UTC
Hi Patrick,
Post by Patrick McCarty
Post by Németh Márton
I have given up fighting with Transifex tool. I have downloaded the .pot
file and made the Hungarian translation offline, see the attached file.
If a language team doesn't already exist for a particular project,
project maintainers must first approve the request to create the team.
I just approved the Hungarian team for PowerTOP, so you should be able
to upload your translations now. If not, let us know.
Thanks. I had to correct some syntax mistakes catched by "msgfmt -c" before
I could upload the translation. Now it is there.

It seems that I was confused because of the workflow was not clear for me.
It has more steps than just take one .pot file, translate and send back
the result.

Regards,

Márton Németh
Thomas Spura
2012-05-29 11:00:47 UTC
Post by Németh Márton
Post by Patrick McCarty
I just approved the Hungarian team for PowerTOP, so you should be able
to upload your translations now.  If not, let us know.
Thanks. I had to correct some syntax mistakes catched by "msgfmt -c" before
I could upload the translation. Now it is there.
It seems that I was confused because of the workflow was not clear for me.
It has more steps than just take one .pot file, translate and send back
the result.
I usually translate online, so there is no need to download it and
then upload it again.
It's quite handy, when you don't need to care about the syntax of the
.po file and can just translate it.

Greetings,
Tom
Chris Ferron
2012-05-29 17:59:09 UTC
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Patrick,
Post by Patrick McCarty
Post by Németh Márton
I have given up fighting with Transifex tool. I have downloaded the .pot
file and made the Hungarian translation offline, see the attached file.
If a language team doesn't already exist for a particular project,
project maintainers must first approve the request to create the team.
I just approved the Hungarian team for PowerTOP, so you should be able
to upload your translations now. If not, let us know.
Thanks. I had to correct some syntax mistakes catched by "msgfmt -c" before
I could upload the translation. Now it is there.
It seems that I was confused because of the workflow was not clear for me.
It has more steps than just take one .pot file, translate and send back
the result.
I should have been more clear on this, so sorry for the confusion.
To be honest one of the reasons to host a project on transifex, is so
the localization and internationalization community can help/monitor.
Really PowerTOP as a Transifex project is really its own, and I don't
intended to do much more then
- Uploading updated POT files when reasonable
- Downloading PO files that are 100%

The localization and internationalization effort on Transifex as a
project will be managed by Marge Foster and Patrick McCarty.
The powertop-***@public.gmane.org list is still a good place post even for this
subject, as I will try to help, and Patrick also monitors.

Thanks for the effort, as translations reach 100% you will start to see
them updated in the PowerTOP git repo.

-Chris
Post by Németh Márton
Regards,
Márton Németh
Németh Márton
2012-05-30 06:52:57 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Ferron
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Patrick,
Post by Patrick McCarty
Post by Németh Márton
[...]
I just got some review comments at http://hup.hu/cikkek/20120529/powertop_2_0_magyar_forditas .
I have merged them using Transifex online editing method.
Could you please refresh po/hu_HU.po ?

Thanks,

Márton Németh
Chris Ferron
2012-05-30 15:42:34 UTC
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Ferron
Post by Németh Márton
Hi Patrick,
Post by Patrick McCarty
Post by Németh Márton
[...]
Yes, Thank You
-Chris
Post by Németh Márton
Thanks,
Márton Németh
Yuan Chao
2012-05-27 21:15:03 UTC
Hi Chris,

I've just finished the translation for zh_TW. Please include it in
the release of powertop. Thank you very much.

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Chris Ferron
Post by Chris Ferron
Greetings,
   Writting a quick announcement to let all of you know about our
addition to Transifex. There is now an official project on Transifex for
PowerTOP, and I will be accepting translations once they are 100%. So if
anyone has the intrest to also do some translation work, here is the URL
to the Transifex project.
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP
<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP/resource/powertop-devel/>
Thanks
Chris Ferron
Best regards,
Yuan Chao
Németh Márton
2012-05-29 06:16:37 UTC
Post by Chris Ferron
Greetings,
Writting a quick announcement to let all of you know about our
addition to Transifex. There is now an official project on Transifex for
PowerTOP, and I will be accepting translations once they are 100%. So if
anyone has the intrest to also do some translation work, here is the URL
to the Transifex project.
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP
<https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/PowerTOP/resource/powertop-devel/>
I have some thoughts on the PowerTop strings we currently have:

* There are strings which ends with " \n" (a SPACE followed by a NEW LINE).
I'm not sure the SPACE is necessary, e.g. src/calibrate/calibrate.cpp:432 .

* There are header strings which differ only on one column missing:
#: src/process/do_process.cpp:842
msgid "Power est. Usage Events/s Category Description\n"
#: src/process/do_process.cpp:844
msgid " Usage Events/s Category Description\n"
These strings has to be translated twice. Maybe the original string can
be split up so that the string part starting with "Usage..." needs to be
translated only once.

* There are strings which contain HTML formatting in src/devlist.cpp . I'm
not sure the HTML formatting should be part of the localization string,
only the actual text to be translated.

* I'm not sure about the usefulness to translate the CONFIG_*=y kernel
setting strings at src/perf/perf.cpp:123 .

Regards,

Márton Németh